Monday, July 27, 2009

Spare Change?

Oh man, I'd love to tell you all I've been doing something really interesting. (Wait, that's an awful way to start out something I hope you want to read. Let me rethink that...)

Oh, man, have I been up to some INTERESTING THINGS! I've been...um, well, I guess I've been sort of, like...doing dishes a lot?

Nah, I can't keep that up. Look, the thing is, I'm looking for a job and basically languishing in abject boredom. I somehow feel like now that I've got an additional year of education on my resume, I'm actually much less qualified to do things. I'm absolutely desperate to work. There is not much worse for me than doing nothing. That is the absolute truth. Boredom tends to induce in me a moderate amount of panic. I am reminded of when I was younger, fretting that someday, I may end up living in a cardboard box, eating cold beans and panhandling for change. In my mind, this reality creeps ever nearer...but the search continues. Wish me luck.

In addition to that, though, Chris and I were in beautiful Carnoustie this weekend for his friend's engagement/housewarming party. I am also reading a couple of new books and helping other people work on their resumes (which are called 'CVs' here). I've got another long bike ride on Wednesday, probably followed by a little more panicking and subsequent job-searching.

Chris and I have also started taking it upon ourselves to create little 'challenges' for ourselves. Our latest is that we are going to try to live for a week on £20--including food, transportation and entertainment. Why are we doing this? I don't know. Will it work? Probably. Will we be eating cold beans and panhandling for change at the end of the week? We'll see. Hey, whatever it takes.

Anyway, I hope that all of you are doing well back home. Miss you all!
xo

No comments: