Thursday, August 13, 2009

It's Brightening Up!

Hey everyone! I have just returned from a really great camping trip and thought I'd share a few pictures with you.

Four of Chris' friends, Chris and I drove down to Androssen, which is on the west coast of Scotland, and then took a ferry across to the island of Arran. I had expected to do some hillwalking, but the guys had other plans. They wanted to climb the highest mountain on Arran, which is called Goatfall. So...we did!

Eithne and I point at the only patch of blue sky visible at the time.

I was so happy to be camping with staff members of one of Scotland's most renowned restaurants. Hot dogs on the fire? No way! How about smoked Mackerel sandwiches, a la Captain?
Our ascent began. Chris and I found ourselves lagging behind, wondering what the heck we were about to do.
We stop for a much-needed banana break.
The view was pretty spectacular, even from this height.

Ohhhh man...Chris loves to climb mountains. Doesn't he look pleased to be up there?


Eithne and I approach the final peak of Goatfell just as the rain starts.

I am so happy you can see the rainbow in this picture! While I dragged myself all the way up there and was soaked to the bone by a chilling downpour, the thought of this picture turning out kept me going.

This is one of my happiest moments. No, not because I was with Chris, but because I was warm and dry for the first time all day.


A beautiful shot of the sea. There is a small river in the foreground and the mainland in the background.
See the mountain on the left? That's the mountain we climbed!

A standing stone near the sea. Sort of like a miniature, less-cool, smaller, less-dramatic Stone Henge.
The ultimate reward after a long day: a big cup of milky tea and some Arran ice cream. Yum!

In addition to the moments captured here, there were a lot of other great ones. For starters, our campsite was literally a stone's throw from the sea. Our tent's door looked out onto the beach. It was one of the coolest campsites I've ever been to, which is saying a lot! The six of us spent a lot of time playing cards and drinking beer in the pub next to the campsite, and last night we stayed up to watch a meteor shower on the beach. Pretty, pretty amazing.

Alright, I'm exhausted so I'm going to hit the hay. I hope you've all had a great week!
xo

No comments: